Sunday, February 23, 2020

3rd grade Explores Learning Styles!

As we wrap up our long unit talking about academic success skills, we talked about how each of us learns differently.  Students were given cards with different pictures on them - rainbows, robots, books, sunglasses - in a variety of different colors.  We asked them to organize them however they thought made the most sense.  You can learn a lot about how kids think by doing something like this!  Some used the colors to categorize, others went alphabetically, and yet others grouped the cards by the picture (all robots together etc.). 
Afterwards, we discussed how all of us organize information in our brains differently too!  Therefore, understanding how you learn best can help you set up great study habits.  Students took a mini inventory asking them for how they prefer to learn, and they were able to add up the scores and see if they were visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learners. 
I share with students that I've learned just how "visual" I am.  When I first started at Willow, my goal was to learn every student's name by the end of October.  I did quite well in grades 1-5 but in Kindergarten I really struggled.  And thenI realized (after teaching learning styles) that this was because when I visited those classes, students had their names written on their desk. In Kindergarten, we gather around a rug to talk, so their names weren't linked to them.  Now when I meet people, I try to write their names down so I can visually see it and lock it into memory!
In 3rd grade, there usually isn't a major distinction for kids, but this conversation about different ways to study so that the information "sticks" can at least give students ideas for setting up the ideal study habits for the way they learn best!



No comments:

Post a Comment